I finally finished the Survivor. Truthfully, I thought I finished it over two weeks ago, but I didn’t take it to the field with me for QRP to the Field this year like I planned because, well, my plans changed. I still went out for QRPTTF, though, which is what counts. I picked up the Survivor again when I got back, ostensibly to make sure it was all ready for use. And it’s a good thing I did–it was definitely not working right.
What I discovered when I revisited the Survivor build was that my TX audio was terrible–static-y and unreadable. With the help of others on the Hendricks SSB Yahoo Group, I ultimately traced the problem to a voltage that was too low on the base of the microphone buffer transistor Q10. A few others experience this problem, too. I was able to fix it by changing the value of resistor R25 from 22K to 15K. Once I did that, everything was ship-shape. All I need to do now is make a portable antenna for 75 meters, put it up, and see if I can work somebody.
This, too, means that my series of installments on building the Survivor is complete. If you’re interested, you can see the series here. Let me know if it’s helpful (or if you see any mistakes).